It may sound like I am writing about something dirty. But no , nothing like it.
Spring brake is almost over. Life will be back to normal on Monday. It is like this every vacation. My «grown up time» shrinks along with the fragility of my mental health. When I had three kids in the house I discovered that if I did not get at least two hours , before I went to bed.,As a «ME» time. I was going to be drained the day after. I needed this time desperately to gather my self and recharge. And every time there is a change in the program. The routines got messed up. I think the expectations of parenting are that we are super happy and patient all the time. It is however not realistic. If a parent puts himself/herself always in the second place it is going to catch up eventually.I was confronted by a nurse once, she reminded me why it is made especially clear in the safety routines of an airplane, that adults travelling with children put the oxygen mask on first and then assist the children.
It is a good metaphor for parenting, if we are not in shape we are not going to be there for our children either.
- 5 Common Parental Delusions (living4bliss.wordpress.com)
- In Defense of Boomerang Kids (parenting.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Oxygen Masks and the Big Easy (friendtoyourself.com)
- A lesson in how not to holiday with children (moreshortstuff.wordpress.com)
- Project Gratitude and Joining the Oxygen Mask Project (dswalkerauthor.com)
- Give Yourself to Yourself (psychologytoday.com)